Together we can create a healthier planet for future generations with clean, predictable power.
By becoming a shareholder, you will help Orbital to grow the business and our pipeline of new investment and turbine sales opportunities, as we help to turn the tide on climate change.
Becoming an Orbital shareholder gives you a new way to make an impact with your money that also benefits governments efforts to deliver a net zero carbon future:
- You will help us deliver identify commercially viable project and sales opportunities
- Accelerate our R&D cost reduction programmes
- Help the UK and other economies around the world to Build Back Greener
- Entrench a UK manufacturing and services capability that creates jobs delivering into both the UK domestic and global export markets.
You will also have the opportunity to benefit financially from the growth of value in the business if we are successful. As a shareholder, you will be helping Orbital take the next step on its journey and hopefully create a more valuable company which in turn would increase the value of your shares. As a growth business, we are currently focused on reinvesting any earnings back into the business to help support the development of a global tidal market and increase the value of the company so we do not expect to pay dividends to shareholders in the near future. Of course, as with any investment, there are risks when investing in shares - see below.
There are two principal risks to be aware of when investing in shares, particular when investing in growth focused businesses:
- The value of your shares depends on the success of the company. If the company is unsuccessful and decreases in value, the value of your shares will also fall. If the company fails completely and goes out of business, you would lose all of your investment.
- Your shares in Orbital, as a private company without its shares being traded on a public market, are illiquid, which means they can be difficult to sell and it can be hard to value them. It may not be possible to sell them at all, even if the business is a success and your shares have increased in value. You should therefore be prepared to hold your shares for the long-term.
- You can find out more information about making an equity investment, including the different risks involved, in the appropriate information section from Crowdcube (the investment platform where our campaign is available).
Orbital have partnered with equity investment experts Crowdcube to offer our shares.
To become a shareholder of Orbital you will need to open an account with Crowdcube and place your investment through them. Your investment will be administered and held through your Crowdcube account, and Crowdcube have recently announced the intention to open a secondary marketplace where you can look to sell your shares in the future.
Crowdfunding allows us to receive investment from a large number of people via a dedicated online portal. As a company, sustainability is at the heart of what we do, so when it came to our next funding round we wanted to democratise the process and open up the opportunity to own shares in Orbital Marine Power to everyone.
Our campaign will be available for those who pre-register only soon. This private period will last seven days before our campaign opens to the public thereafter.
The exit options for investors in start-up and growth stage businesses are quite different from the process of buying and selling shares. Currently, shares bought in the types of businesses on the Crowdcube platform are not typically available to trade on a secondary market, and therefore your exit options as an investor are more limited. Crowdcube have recently announced the intention to open a secondary marketplace where you can look to sell your shares in the future but this has not yet been rolled out / opened.
If Orbital continues to grow, there could be other opportunities in the future to sell your shares. This might be if the company lists on a stock exchange, Orbital is bought by another company or the company offers to buy back your shares using profits.
The campaign will last for up to 30 days, or whenever we reach or target. If we hit our target sooner then we will give a 24hr warning before the round closes. Please note, there is a limited amount of equity available in this round and we expect the round to fill quickly therefore we encourage you to pledge your commitment as soon as the round opens.
The campaign will close as soon as we hit the maximum amount we’ve opened to the crowd, or once the 30 days is up.